From the 16th November, it is Carbon monoxide awareness week, which hopes to raise awareness on the dangers and prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is not one of the most talked about topics in the media. Usually, it is only bought up when a horrific event, when someone has lost their life due to the gas not being detected. The most notable story in the last few years, being that of two young children who tragically passed away in their sleep, whilst on holiday, due to a faulty boiler at their hotel.
This has caused for movement in parliament, to look at monoxide detectors being made compulsory within holiday accommodation, and Thomas Cook (the holiday company in question) making their own moves to raise carbon monoxide awareness.
But things are already changing in the UK. As of the start of October, landlords are required by law to install both smoke alarms, and carbon monoxide alarms into their properties.
Which are some great steps forward in helping to raise awareness, and keep people safe. But what about the majority of UK home owners, who do not have a landlord installing an alarm for them?
How does it affect the UK right now?
Carbon monoxide effects more people than you may think with the department of health having some surprising statistics on how many of us suffer each year:
- 50 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 4000 are treated in A & E
- 200 people are hospitalised
And these are just the recorded cases, where symptoms haven’t been mistaken for something else.
So what are you looking for?
Well, ‘looking’ might be the wrong word, as Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas, which Is sometimes called the silent killer. In small amounts, it causes headaches, nausea, dizziness and tiredness. In high amount, it impairs your mental state, loss of co-ordination, chest pain, seizures, and can even be fatal.
How to prevent it
Though it is a scary topic to think about, but it is easy to keep yourself and your family protected from unnecessary harm. There are numerous guides online from many authorities on how to stay safe, such as this straightforward advice from the Center for disease control and prevention.
Or The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed campaign, which has some great resources on how to stay safe, as well as some truly devastating stories on what could happen if you don’t act.
Generally, the best advice to get yourself protected quickly is:
- Get your fuel burning appliances checked and serviced regularly. Carbon monoxides leaks through faulty or poorly maintained appliances, so having them serviced by a professional, at regular intervals lowers the risk of ever having a problem.
- Be aware of the symptoms. As they are so similar to colds and flu, it can be hard to spot. But if you are suffering from headaches, nausea or dizziness, and believe it could be carbon monoxide poisoning, visit the nhs site, call 111 and get it checked as soon as possible.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in every room that contains a fuel burning appliance. This will give you a clear indication of when there is a problem, and that you need to vacate the property.
How are Rancom going to help?
In aid of the forthcoming Carbon Monoxide week, and to keep you, your family safe and sound, Rancom are going to be providing A FREE Monitored Carbon Monoxide detector to any new customer who purchases a security system between October 30th 2015 and 16th November 2015.
The monitored Carbon Monoxide detector not only provides you with an audible alarm in the event of Carbon Monoxide being detected but is also linked to the monitoring station as is the rest of the security system meaning the monitoring centre will know if it has been activated and take measures accordingly to assure your safety.
We know alarms we have fitted previously have saved people’s lives, deterred intruders and given our clients piece of mind, which is something we are very proud of and we will continue to take care of the wellbeing and safety of our clients.
Taking care of it…